Announcing Tupperware, a setup for Mozilla apps in Docker! Tupperware is portable, reusable, and containerized. But unlike typical tupperware, please do not put it in the Microwave.
This is a project born out of a need to lower the barriers to entry for new contributors to Release Engineering (RelEng) maintained apps and services. Historically, RelEng has had greater difficulty attracting community contributors than other parts of Mozilla, due in large part to how much knowledge is needed to get going in the first place. For a new contributor, it can be quite overwhelming to jump into any number of the code bases that RelEng maintains and often leads to quickly losing that new contributor out of exaspiration. Beyond new contributors, Tupperware is great for experienced contributors as well to assist in keeping an unpolluted development environment and testing patches.
Currently Tupperware includes the following Mozilla apps:
- BuildAPI – a Pylons project used by RelEng to surface information collected from two databases updated through our buildbot masters as they run jobs.
- BuildBot – a job (read: builds and tests) scheduling system to queue/execute jobs when the required resources are available, and reporting the results.
Vagrant is used as a quick and easy way to provision the docker apps and make the setup truly plug n' play. The current setup only has a single Vagrantfile which launches BuildAPI and BuildBot, with their dependency apps RabbitMQ and MySQL.
How to run:
- Install Vagrant 1.6.3
- hg clone https://hg.mozilla.org/build/tupperware/ && cd tupperware && vagrant up (takes >10 minutes the first time)
Troubleshooting tips are available in the Tupperware README.
Now that Tupperware is out there, it's open to contributors! The setup does not need to stay solely usable for RelEng apps and services. So please submit bugs to add new ones! There are a few ideas for adding functionality to Tupperware already:
- Bug 1027410 - Add Treeherder docker container to Tupperware
- Bug 1027412 - Add multiple vagrant setups to Tupperware to customize setup
- Bug 1027417 - Have MySQL docker app in Tupperware load database schemas
Have ideas? Submit a bug!